Tuesday 22 May 2007

Only just resisted putting a ‘Cannes’ = ‘Can’ pun in the title here

It’s around this time each year that I don’t go to Cannes. I annually don’t soak up the unique atmosphere, don’t race around trying to get meetings, and don’t blag my way into parties or screenings.

Is this a mistake? I ask myself this every year. I’ve never had the readies, and I’ve never been convinced it’s particularly helpful for a writer. This year it was a particularly hard decision to make, though, what with the 60th anniversary and having written a film that’s there too. But my producer has gone over and is flying the flag (ooh, Scooch flashback – nasty!) for ‘Lent’ this week. So, I’ve saved my pennies for the Cheltenham Screenwriter’s Festival in July, which I think will be more useful for me at this juncture.

But, reading Sal Brown’s Cannes updates is wheting my appetite for when I finally give in and give it a go. Next year, definitely. And hopefully, with another short film to take with me…

3 comments:

Sal said...

I saw your film in SFC - liked it, really neat, economical, nicely filmed.

Yes you should definitely go to Cannes next year - I'm sure there would be enough bloggers by then to make our own party

Stuart Perry said...

Thanks, Sal. Glad you liked it. Had I been to Cannes this year, I would have been able to see 'Echoes' which sounds intriguing. Is it going to any other festivals where I might see it?

Sal said...

I've entered it into a few festivals so far, and am just waiting to hear whether it gets accepted anywhere.Fingers crossed!